Re: [code] [textadept] Single Instance mode is off by default?

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 23:52:01 -0500 (EST)

Hi Christian,

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020, Christian Gelinek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using TA on Xubuntu 18.04. To use it on multiple Workspaces (i.e. virtual
> screens) simultaneously, I had to use the -f switch when starting it on a new
> workspace and I created a launcher with the -f switch set.  As it turned out,
> I still spend most of my time working on Workspace 1 and wanted to have
> single-instance mode back, so I removed the -f switch from the launcher.
>
> Interestingly though, now if I use ta in the terminal (this is just a symlink
> to /opt/textadept_10.8.x86_64/textadept) *or* the launcher, a new TA instance
> opens. All this happened a while ago, so I'm not 100% sure if or what else
> I've changed in the environment, so I'm asking here:
>
> What else could cause Textadept to start in multi-instance mode?

Make sure you've closed all instances of Textadept on your machine, then try again. Sometimes if you've mixed running Textadept in single and multi-instance mode and have closed the single-instance mode, Textadept cannot determine which instance to connect to.

> There's another detail (also annoying to me, but it may give someone a clue)
> about the current behaviour is that no matter whether I start TA with or
> without the -f switch, it always overwrites my ~/.textadept/session file.

This is the default behavior. You can disable session functionality by passing `-n` or `--no-session`, or specify the session to write to via `-s [name]` or `--session [name]`.