[code] Textadept Customization and Upgrades

From: Gavin Holt <holtgavin.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:17:10 +0000

Hi,

The ability to delve into TA and make modifications is one of many
appealing features, but I am getting concerned about how I will apply
my Lua hacks to any new release.

Wherever possible I have tried to make changes from my user/init.lua
file. However, with many modules binding local functions I now have a
list of edits that will need to be redone after
installing/reinstalling.

Q1. I would be interested to know how others have managed this in the
past when new versions are released?

Q2. Additionally, as customization is a key feature of TA are there
any modifications to the core code which would make the process
easier?

I have attached my init.lua for information.

Kind Regards Gavin Holt

PS A case in point

Q3 . I am struggling to reassign a menu entry to a redefined function
- see new io.open_recent_file() in my init.lua.

I am trying to alter the table textadept.menu.menubar[_L['_File']] but
I can't iterate to find the right spot to make an alteration.

Test case "for i,v in pairs(textadept.menu.menubar[_L['_File']]) do
print(type(v)) end" returns nothing - despite
print(#textadept.menu.menubar[_L['_File']]) returning 17!

Any help appreciated.