Re: [code] Textadept-curses for WIN32: Cursor/screen problems

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2020 16:26:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Gavin,

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020, Mitchell wrote:

> Hi Gavin,
>
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2020, Gavin Holt wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I know the standard windows console is "limited", but I have noted a
>> few problems. I know some of these are hard to address, but I thought
>> I would list them anyway for reference:
>>
>> 1. Can't display any popups in the buffer: I am having problems with
>> the popup symbol autocomplete (^Space) and the snippet popup when
>> selections are offered. There is a flicker on my screen, but the
>> popups are not visible. For the autocomplete none of the options are
>> selectable, with the snippets I can get the first option only. I am
>> pretty sure the commands function because when only one autocomplete
>> option is available it gets inserted (e.g. A Lua file "string.s" will
>> expand to "string.sub"). Test case in a Lua file is "math.f" which
>> should display a popup with "math.floor, math.fmod, math.frexp".
>
> This is likely a bug. Thanks for the report.

This has been fixed[1] and should be in tonight's nightly.

>> 2. Cursor invisible at the insertion point using find & replace panel,
>> or any dialog: At present in textadept-curses for WIN32 the insertion
>> cursor is invisible when using the "find & replace pane" or any dialog
>> (e.g. Goto). There is a blinking underline in column zero at what
>> appears to be a random row.
>
> This may be a bug in PDCurses (the terminal toolkit Textadept uses). The
> terminal version on other platforms shows the cursor properly.

After investigating, I've determined this is a PDCurses issue that I cannot workaround. I've documented this incompatibility in the manual[2].

> [snip]
>
>> 5. Single mouse clicking inside a highlighted selection does not
>> remove/alter the selection, nor does it move the insertion point: This
>> is not the expected behavior, I would normally expect the selection
>> to "unselect" and the cursor insertion point to move to the clicked
>> location. Test by selecting all and then try to click out. (This is
>> only in the nightly build)
>
> I'll look into this.

This looks like a Windows console issue. I've documented this incompatibility in the manual[2]. You need to quadruple-click to collapse a selection to the point where you are clicking.

>> 6. Shift drag does not scroll: When selecting text with the mouse, you
>> can only go as far as the bottom/top of the visible screen. I would
>> like to be able to scroll as we select using the wheel and by dragging
>> "beyond boundaries".
>
> This would be a nice feature. I'll look into it.

This has been implemented[1] and should be in tonight's nightly.

[1]: https://foicica.com/hg/textadept/rev/dcd32c68002e
[2]: https://foicica.com/hg/textadept/rev/f0f73474ee87