Re: [code] [textadept] dialogs open in full screen on macOS when TA is in fullscreen

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2020 21:05:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Franck,

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020, Franck Guadagnini wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>
>>> An annoyance in TA on macOS: when TA is in fullscreen (I mean the native fullscreen mode of macOS, activated by clicking the green button in the window title bar), dialogs (for instance the insert snippets one) open in fullscreen too, in another tab (native macOS tabs). I suspect that macOS treats them as NSWindow although they should be NSPanel (auxiliary window).
>>
>> Hmm, I suspect this is a GTK (the GUI toolkit Textadept uses) issue in that it doesn't utilize the new macOS APIs to separate dialogs from windows. Does this also happen with the File > Open dialog?
>
> Yes, this also happen with the File > Open dialog, and every other dialog I've tested.

I've looked into this and I have no idea what's going on. Textadept uses GTK 2.24.31, which was released in late 2016. 2.24.32 was released in early 2018, however, the changelog doesn't mention anything about fullscreen mode on macOS (it may be a newer macOS feature; I don't know). I'm not sure it's worth the time to attempt an upgrade because:

* I need to find an application with precompiled 2.24.32 binaries I can make use of, because I don't have the means to build any from scratch.
* If I found some binaries, the minimum version those binaries are built for may increase Textadept's minimum supported version (10.6 Snow Leopard) by too much.

If someone more savvy with macOS can chime in with some ideas, workarounds (e.g. edit plist or something), or at least manage to find and test against 2.24.32 binaries, that would be great. Otherwise, there's nothing more I can do here. Sorry :(