[code] Highlighting questions

From: Christian Gelinek <cgelinek.att.radlogic.com.au>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 12:07:34 +0930

Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone has tried to customise the behaviour of
highlights. I am only aware of the Ctrl+Alt+Shift+H Word Highlight
keyboard shortcut, which highlights the complete word under the caret
and all occurrences in the document. Having migrated from Notepad++
(NPP) to Textadept, I'd like to replicate some features I am missing in TA:

 1. Can the "complete word" functionality be made optional? Sometimes
    I'd like to highlight just the selected parts of a word, e.g. to
    quickly see all words that have "count" in them such as
    "line_count", "encountered" and "counting_eggs". In NPP, the
    behaviour is dependent on the "Whole word" option of the Search dialog.
 2. Can we have multiple simultaneous highlights with different colours
    for different (parts of) words?
 3. Can other occurrences of the currently selected word be (slightly)
    highlighted? I found this NPP feature useful when browsing through
    code and just double-clicking on a word to instantly see other uses.

I had a quick look at the API documentation but since I don't know much
about Lua and even less about Scintilla, I didn't know how to start.

Cheers,
Christian