Re: [code] More questions

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 15:20:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi James,

On Tue, 26 May 2020, James Reynolds wrote:

> I'm on macOS 10.14. When I add "textadept.editing.auto_pairs = nil" to ~/.textadept/init.lua it works in the curses version but the GUI version opens a tab named "[Message Buffer]" and says:
>
> lua: /Users/james/.textadept/modules/markdown/init.lua:35: attempt to index a nil value (field 'auto_pairs')
>
> It will not allow me to switch to any of the buffers via tabs or the buffer browser. Am I doing something wrong?

It looks like the markdown module you downloaded does not handle the case when auto_pairs is nil. Open that file, go to line 35, and see if you can insert an `if textadept.editing.auto_pairs then ... end` around the problematic code. Textadept does this here[1] and here[2] for example.

> I'm also trying to figure out how to uses the curses version. I can not figure out the "meta key". The documentation says it's alt. But alt-anything produces special characters (like alt-g is the copyright character). It seems to be cntl, like cntl-o and cntl-s work, but many other things do not work (e.g. cntl-e goes to the end of the line, cntl-f moves a character right). I've tried the built-in Terminal app and iTerm2. Am I missing something?

You need to enable the Terminal.app setting that uses Option as a Meta key. It's in the "Keyboard" tab I think.

[1]: https://foicica.com/hg/textadept/file/18617a7d1d00/modules/textadept/editing.lua#l131
[2]: https://foicica.com/hg/textadept/file/18617a7d1d00/modules/textadept/editing.lua#l144