[code] Questions

From: James Reynolds <reynolds.att.biology.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 00:46:20 +0000

I have a ton of questions and wishes.

In the GUI version is it possible to change the order of the tabs?

Shell shortcuts do not work in shell execution command, like ~/. Using semicolons to make a new command also seems to be ignored. "echo hi ; echo bye" prints "hi ; echo bye". I realize this is because shell interpolation isn't in effect. Is it possible to add shell interpolation?

[cid:DF3AF179-E30D-48F7-94E4-88050BA4CC8E.att.utah.edu]

Is it possible to have it remember the current directory? So the result of a cd would affect future commands?

Is it possible to add a shell command execution mode to append the output to the current file or the Message Buffer instead of replacing the selected text of the current file? I like that feature too (especially with sort and uniq), but it would also be cool to be able append.

Another cool feature would be to have a command that executed the selected text and paste the output after (just like a shell, but the whole thing is editable).

If a command returns non-zero nothing is shown. Is it possible to get the output even if it's non-zero? I noticed this with diff.

[cid:375753A5-AB2F-4B6D-A1CA-A1D88D74C1B3.att.utah.edu]

How does Textadept handle editing files as root? That is, is it safe to run as root? Do I dare use it as a replacement for vi? Or is it possible for it to elevate permissions for open/save operations?

If the cursor is in the find field command-g doesn't do anything. It would be great if it did.

I think this is preference, but it would be nice if searching for something moved focus to the text view instead of the find field.

When option click dragging text, the selection wont extend past the last line.

[cid:9A2C1D3D-8C59-4198-8B6F-FA17B5CBD9E5.att.utah.edu]

If I move the mouse down, then it unselects the rest of 3 and 4.

[cid:897D88C4-8FD0-426C-8A7A-E01558CA2B76.att.utah.edu]

---
I'm hoping that it's possible to make the macOS version act more macOS but I'm not sure if it's possible because of GTK and Scintilla. Here's my list of hopes.
- This is the first macOS app I've seen that doesn't flash a menu when a keyboard shortcut is pressed. That is, if pressing command-c (copy) the "Edit" menu always flashes indicating that's where the command is located. Is it possible to flash the menu?
- When in the Find field, pressing tab will move to the Replace field, but pressing tab in the Replace field goes nowhere. I don't know if it's possible but can tab move to the buttons, e.g. "Find Next", then "Find Pref", "Replace", etc?
- Open/Save File Dailogs - In macOS there are many keyboard shortcuts like command-shift-d (go to the desktop).
- In macOS Open/Save File Dialogs pressing tab always moves focus to some element. Tab completion only works when pressing command-shift-g ("go to the folder"). Command-period always cancels, return always selects the colored button, and a button with a focus (the glow) is selectable with the space key.
[cid:FAAE2220-95A0-4F41-8C31-CB34BF772C89.att.utah.edu]
- Open/Save File Dialogs without an open/saved document defaults to ~/ or the last directory. Textadept defaults to / (which is annoying).
- It doesn't look like folder icons are used in the Open/Save dialogs in the right view.
[cid:853A356C-21B9-4138-8CEE-23DB013D9A69.att.utah.edu]
- Almost all Mac document based apps (Photoshop is the only exception I can think of) support command clicking the title bar to pull up a path and optionally select one of them to open it in Finder. This is from a different app.
[cid:0EFBD367-4907-458B-8935-2F317C22652C.att.utah.edu]
- If the Mac OS key bindings are going to be different from curses/Windows/Linux, it makes more sense to have them act more like other Mac apps. I know I can change them for myself. I'm just curious if you're open to changing them officially? I'm not sure what the reasoning is for some of the keyboard short cuts. Examples:
On macOS all web browsers, the Finder, and Terminal all support tabs and moving between them is with command-shift-[ and command-shift-].
On almost all text fields on macOS command-e copies the selected text and pastes it into the search field. So selecting text and pressing command-e then command-g will search for the next instance of that text.
Is Scintilla the reason Textadept supports only one window?
- I don't know if this is intentional but in the View menu there's an option to show and hide the tab bar and it does nothing but show an empty area above the tabs. This also messes up the Open/Save dialog spacing.
[cid:C0944203-CD37-44B0-ABE5-467385B3C5A2.att.utah.edu]
See empty area above the tabs?
[cid:1E44B1BD-35B2-4ED3-849C-B098ADAAC141.att.utah.edu]
James Reynolds
Sr Systems Administrator
School of Biological Sciences
The University of Utah
801-585-3086

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 6.20.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 6.28.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 6.38.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 6.38.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 6.16.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 6.31.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 5.55.52 PM.png
PastedGraphic-1.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 6.11.07 PM.png