Re: [Ext] [code] Moving around and selecting text with arrow and modifier keys

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 18:35:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hi James,

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020, James Reynolds wrote:

> I can't see the alt-shift-arrow keybinding in the keys.lua file. I tried to manually set it with the following but it didn't work.
>
> keys['asleft'] = buffer.word_left_extend
> keys['asright'] = buffer.word_right_extend
>
> I don't know if I'm doing it wrong. In fact, the only mapping for alt that I see is the following.
>
> [snip]

This sounds like a bug then. It's possible Textadept is not properly detecting the Alt/Option modifier correctly. I'll look into this when I have some time. When it works as intended, all of your problems should go away.

> Is the intended functionality that control-shift-arrow selects the words and alt-shift-arrow selects chars? I just checked on Windows and it seems like that's how Notepad and Notepad++ work on it.
>
> [snip]

Alt+Shift+Arrow is for rectangular selection, which for single lines looks like single-character selection. When you start using the Up and Down keys, it becomes clear what the intent is.

> Because I did all of this research, I'm actually hoping you will be willing to make this change in your source. I actually want to try to push Textadept to the Mac administrators at my university and if this is changed it will help my cause. I'm actually trying to convince people to stop using Electron apps like Atom and Visual Studio Code... Most Mac people I know will only use BBEdit. But because BBEdit is only on the Mac, the crossplatform Mac people might be enticed by Textadept over Atom and VSCode.

Like I said, it could very well be a bug. If it is, then I'd certainly like to fix it. Perhaps I'll switch the rectangular selection modifier to Ctrl while I'm at it.