Lua Error: error loading module 'bit' when running textadept

From: dflock <duncan.l....at.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:20:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
Textadept looks great! I've downloaded ta_beta_r6_x86_64.tgz and
unpacked it, moved the contents to /usr/share/textadept, then
symlinked /usr/share/textadept/src/textadept to /usr/bin/textadept (I
think this is correct - the structure of the archive doesn't seem to
quite match the manual here: http://caladbolg.net/luadoc/textadept/manual.html)

When I run textadept from the command line, I get a whole load of
these errors:

Lua Error: error loading module 'bit' from file '/usr/share/textadept//
lexers//bit.so':
        liblua.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I get a load on startup and more appear whenever I do things in
textadept - which seems to run, but lots of things don't appear to
work?

The file '/usr/share/textadept/lexers/bit.so' does exist but,
obviously '/usr/share/textadept//lexers//bit.so' doesn't. Where are
the extra slashes coming from and how do I fix this?

I'm running Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10 AMD64 and have lua 5.1.3 installed,
if that makes any difference.

If anyone could help, that would be great!
Thanks