Re: Textadept 1.3

From: vais <vsalik....at.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:26:11 -0800 (PST)

Finally got to my computer and downloaded 1.3 (I am beat after an 8-
hour drive, but I could not wait to check it out). Absolutely loved
the Find in Files! Now I can stop using Textmate to search through
Textadept's codebase!

One suggestion: in Scite, search results go into the output buffer
with the rest of the output stuff. The only annoying thing with the
new Find in Files is that double-clicking on one of the search results
replaces the search results with the file in the view. Usually, when
you do a Find in Files, it is because you will be clicking around,
exploring the search results. Now, if you want to look at the next
search result, you have to hunt down the search results buffer in the
buffer browser.

Sound familiar? This is the same situation we had in 1.2 with the
output buffer/output view. That part works great now - do you think we
can apply the same logic to the Find in Files results buffer? If the
results just get written into the output buffer, there is no other
work to be done. The other option is to make the Find in Files buffer/
view "special" - same way as the output buffer, but that may be too
much imho. I think the Scite approach of writing search results to the
output buffer would work just fine, and we could take advantage of the
now existing "magic" properties of the output buffer (the whole open-a-
new-view-if-one-does-not-already-exist thing).

Thank you, Mitchell!

P.S. many bug reports to follow over the next few days ;)