Symlink to textadept on OS X

From: vais <vsalik....at.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 13:37:49 -0800 (PST)

Textmate has a "mate" tool for working with the Textmate app from the
shell. How do you use Textadept from the shell on OS X?

The way I have been doing it is by invoking textadept executable
inside the .app. This is a pain, since you have to either cd into
the .app/Contents/etc... or use the same full path to the executable
every time.

I have tried creating a symlink to the textadept file inside the .app
("ln -s path_to_exec_inside_app ."), but that does not work because
the _HOME variable in Lua gets set to the current directory instead of
being inside of the .app directory, so it cannot find any files it
requires, and textadept fails to start with an error message to that
effect.

Am I missing something? How does it work on Linux then, since the
installation instructions are to use a symlink? Does the _HOME
variable initialization work differently? Bottom line, is there
anybody using TA from the command line on OS X out there?