More intelligent quote insertion

From: Justin <jd....at.njit.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 20:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

Would it be possible to do more intelligent quote insertion? The
current situation: whenever I enter a single quote or double quote,
another one is automatically inserted, and my caret is advanced one
character so that I can enter a string. That's awesome for new
strings. But what about for strings that are already opened? Say for
example I type "this is a string" and I delete the last double quote.
When I go to close that string again, it will insert two double quotes
instead of just ending the current string.

I wouldn't mind doing this myself, either. Could someone tell me where