Re: textadept 2.0 ideas/suggestions

From: M Rawash <mraw....at.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:17:20 +0300

hi mitchell,

i have quite a few suggestions (tell me if something sounds ambiguous):

1.* a lua or c++ implementation to get real-time output from run.execute
(or at least fork it into another process, so it won't freeze ta)

2.* either bring back the project manager, or create a better session
management implementation

3. ta should remember pm position throughout sessions

4. block comments should be available to all lexers (i'm not sure if
this is already done, but it seems to only works in lua)

5.* a make target install for ta, (see my Archlinux package to get an
idea: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/textadept/textadept/PKGBUILD )

6.* a LaTeX/TeX module, that allows building and previewing documents
among other things

7. documentation files/links should be accessible from the main menu

8.* maybe move user's init file (~/.ta_modules) to a better location
(e.g. ~/.textadept/init.lua) and make it easier for users to overwrite
global settings (i.e. key commands, menu, mime types, build/go commands,
etc..)

9. adding new lexers and altering existing ones shouldn't require root
access, lexer.lua and menu.lua should be able to read lexers from user's
home directory as well (e.g. ~/.textadept/lexers/?.lua), override them
if necessary

10.* pm interface should be available to modules, so you can, for
example, load special browsers per module

i realise that all of these issues can't be me tackled in one release,
or 100% realistic for that matter, but i'm willing to help with some or
all of them if asked (especially starred '*' ones), as much as i
can/time allows..

cheers,
M Rawash