Re: textadept 2.0 ideas/suggestions

From: M Rawash <mraw....at.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:22:34 +0300

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 04:59 -0700, mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > 1.* a lua or c++ implementation to get real-time output from run.execute
> > (or at least fork it into another process, so it won't freeze ta)
>
> I believe this was brought up before, but I have yet to find a way to
> do so. I'm open to patches!

this is probably one of the more trivial tasks yet, i've come up with a
way to fork run.execute in the background and then back, using
lua-posix, but it keeps crashing ta (so it only works in theory), would
you be interested in debugging it?

also, i'll be checking out how SciTE does it, see if we can come up with
something similar..

> > 2.* either bring back the project manager, or create a better session
> > management implementation
>
> You're welcome to grab it from an earlier ta release if you so desire,
> but I'm not sure how stable it is. Define 'better session management'.
> I think a lot of people disagree on this one ;)

i already did :P, i've also improved it a bit, maybe we can provide it
as an addon later? as for session management, i'd say simply finishing
what you started
(http://groups.google.com/group/textadept/browse_thread/thread/e53d01e717ba911c) will do for now, later you could introduce a designated (sub-)menu for managing sessions, allow more control/accessibility (can be discussed later)..

> Block comments are currently defined in language modules, but can be
> defined anywhere really. Take a look at 'modules/lua/commands.lua'.

i found the block_comment() function in 'modules/textadpet/editing.lua',
it seems to be using 'comment_strings' from the same file to get the
right comment string, can't there be a way to make this work
automatically? like reading the comment token from the current lexer
then use it as the comment string?

> The linux install really needs work for portability. I'll work on
> this.

i'd just like to stress on the importance of this one, as it could
potentially put off many linux packagers.. should be fairly easy to do
however, tell me if you need a hand..

> > 6.* a LaTeX/TeX module, that allows building and previewing documents
> > among other things
>
> I have no experience with such things so a user-written module
> contribution would be best.

fine, i'll start working on a TeX module as soon as i can.

> > 10.* pm interface should be available to modules, so you can, for
> > example, load special browsers per module
>
> How is this not possible? What implementation are you looking for?

ah, yes, i forgot i already done something similar, my only complaint is
that there should be more reusable code, otherwise disregard this
suggestion :)

thanks,
M Rawash