Re: Plans for the next version?

From: <brian-sch....at.cox.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:58:35 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 19, 7:24 am, Rob <ro....at.web.de> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2:27 am, Noli Sicad <nsi....at.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > A Toolbar
>
> Since Mitchell was only reluctantly putting in a menu, this is
> probably not going to happen, maybe as a plugin?

http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/toolbars-appearance.html.en
According to the Gnome HIG (Which really should be followed when
writing GTK programs) there should be an option to turn the toolbar
off if there is one. We could just default to off. (For the record,
I'd just leave it turned off.)

> > On 2/19/10, brian-sch....at.cox.net <brian-sch....at.cox.net> wrote:
> > > 2.   Macro recording and playback.
>
> I think this was removed a while ago, because you could as well be
> scripting it.

Well, yes. I could. In fact, I have been known to do things like type
"buffer:home() buffer:word_right_extend() buffer:copy()
buffer:word_right() buffer:insert_text(buffer.current_pos, "\t")
buffer:paste() buffer:line_down() " and so on into the lua prompt, but
that's a huge amount of typing just to do the same thing to multiple
lines of text. (Granted this is a bad example because it might be
solved more easily with a regex search and replace, but you get the
idea)

> > > 5.   A specification for the proper place to put user-created scripts.
>
> I recently discovered that you can right-click in the project manager
> to create a module for a specific language that gets saved
> in .textadept.
> I think it would be quite important to have a clear way for changing
> things in Textadept, setting changed key commands, menu settings etc.
> from within your init.lua.
> Maybe the theme selection could be included there as well. And some
> way not to have a hardcoded path to a theme if it's not in the default
> themes folder.

I was referring more to things that I've written that apply to many
languages, such as my comment continuation script (used by pretty much
every programming language in my setup), the xml tag auto-complete
(which is used in xml, html, and within strings and comments in many
other languages (a big help with javadoc, for instance)). These don't
belong in any particular language's folder. I could put several of
them in editing, though I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do
since these aren't "official" scripts that come with the default
install. Does this matter at all? I've also wondered about the key
bindings thing. My strategy right now is to provide functions that are
designed to be triggered by a keypress, and then modify my key
bindings to call them.

I'm going to have to add another one:
6. Theming. There are far too many places to specify colors. For
example, setting buffer.indic_fore[x] and calling
buffer:marker_set_back are done in the scripts themselves and not a
theme file. Examples from the default install would be the bookmarks
and the snippet marker.

> 1,3 and 4 would be awesome!
>
> - Robert

- Brian