Re: The Future of the Side Pane/Project Manager

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:26:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 17, 7:58 pm, mitchell <mforal.n....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have removed side pane support in latest hg and replaced the buffer
> > > browser with a filteredlist dialog as mentioned earlier. It can be
> > > activated with CTRL+B (windows/linux), Apple+B (osx).
>
> > > In order to use, you'll need the latest gcocoadialog (http://
> > > gcocoadialog.googlecode.com/) as of Mar 17 and recompile ta (as per
> > > the above instructions). Snapopen for files has not been implemented
> > > yet.
>
> > Thanks for the update!
> > Some thoughts and observations:
> > It is very nice that it searches for parts anywhere in the filename -
> > not only in the beginning (unlike the default gtk open dialog).
> > Would it be possible to get the bufferlist to update the selection as
> > typing, so that it would not be necessary to tab into the bufferlist?
> > So hitting enter would be enough.
>
> Done in latest hg of gcocoadialog. Thanks for the input.

Awesome! Updates from the future:
1b6843ed2e - Auto-select first item in filteredlist on keypress;
gcocoadialog.c - Today (in the future) - mitchell
:-)

Another idea: making the the buffer list double clickable?

> > Another idea: integrating this kind of dialog with the side pane. If
> > the side pane were only used for buffers the field at the top could be
> > used for filtering the list of buffers.
>
> The whole idea is to eliminate the side pane :)

Okay, it was just thought... I just wouldn't play side pane and
awesome open/switch buffer dialogs off against each other.

- Robert