Re: SOLVED - problem loading personal init.lua under Windows XP

From: phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:56:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 24, 11:40 am, mitchell <mforal.n....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > In another thread (about the future of the Project Manager) I asked
> > how the PM might be hidden. To do this required a line be added to a
> > personal copy of init.lua. As I describe below I had trouble with this
> > and couldn't work out why. I couldn't get much in the way of an error
> > message because a GTK error dialog was appearing but I couldn't see
> > the very bottom of the dialog box. To cut a long story short, though I
> > finally realised what the problem was - my personal init.lua file (an
> > exact copy of the distributed one) had the following line:
>
> > local user_init = _USERHOME..'/init.lua'
>
> > When I ran TA it was concatenating the contents of _USERHOME (which
> > was a valid folder path) with text that contained a forward slash,
> > which is invalid in a Windows path. I changed the line to the
> > following and TA now starts as expected.
>
> > local user_init = _USERHOME..'\init.lua'
>
> > I don't know whether or not this is a bug but I thought I would
> > document my solution here rather than continue it in the "Future plans
> > for the Project Manager" thread so that it's more obvious and in case
> > it helps someone else.
>
> Actually, _USERHOME..'\init.lua' doesn't exist and isn't loaded, thus
> giving no error. This is because of how escape characters are handled
> in lua. '\\' counts for one '\', so '\\init.lua' would be interpreted
> as a windows path. The fault lies in your init.lua. You do not want to
> copy ta's init.lua verbatim, only the 'require' statements if they
> differ. Add the textadept.pm.width = 0 line in ta's init.lua, not your
> own. A future  version of ta will not have the pane, and this line
> will no longer be needed.
>
> Mitchell
>

> > Note that as I am a complete newbie when it comes to TA, I can't
> > guarantee that this is the right solution, nor that it won't cause
> > other problems.
>
> > For completeness sake I have included below what I hope is a relevant
> > extract from the other thread in which I described my problem.

> > On Mar 12, 2:00 pm, mitchell <mforal.n....at.gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
> > > Oops I was wrong. If you set its width to zero and close ta, it is
> > > stored in the session. If you modify ta's init.lua at the end of the
> > > command line section and add textadept.pm.width = 0, any session width
> > > will be overridden.
> > > Mitchell
>
> > Mitchell,
>
> > Sorry, but I need more help with this. If I modify the init.lua
> > shipped with TA as follows, I get the desired result -
>
> >     -- read only the Project Manager session settings
> >     if not _m.textadept.session.load(nil, true) then
> >       textadept.pm.entry_text = 'buffers'
> >       textadept.pm.activate()
> >     end
> >   end
> >   textadept.pm.width = 0
>
> > But if copy the init.lua shipped with TA and make add the
> [...]

Oh. :( I am confused, but that also tends to happen if I turn around
too fast! :P

I'll go back to scratch because I don't know what statements I need to
put into my personal init.lua. I tried cutting and pasting my custom
lines but I guess I was missing access to variables because TA didn't
like it.

Regards,

Russell Dickenson