Re: Problem with reloading of a session's files

From: phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:54:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 24, 7:23 pm, Robert <ro....at.web.de> wrote:
> On 24 Mrz., 03:37, phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 24, 11:44 am, mitchell <mforal.n....at.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Russell,

> > > This is expected behavior. If you were using a file->open dialog and
> > > typed the name of a nonexistant file, that file would be created. It
> > > is a shortcut to creating a new file, file->save_as, navigate to the
> > > folder, type the filename, ... too much.
>
> > Wow! I find that strange. Surely a more logical action to create a new
> > file would be File -> New and voila!, you can type whatever you want.
> > gedit for instance, gives an error message when you try to open a file
> > which doesn't match the name you type into the File Open dialog.
>
> > > You do bring up an interesting issue in that if session files are not
> > > found, the file is created instead of a notification being brought up.
> > > I would think someone seeing an empty buffer would be alerted that the
> > > file doesn't exist, but is a notification necessary? Thoughts anyone?
>
> > I definitely think TA should be notifying the user if a session file
> > specifies a file which doesn't exist. As you say, if you're expecting
> > a file to open and the buffer for that file is empty, you would
> > probably realise that the file wasn't able to be opened. Not providing
> > the user some sort of notification that the file's not accessible
> > means more effort for the user in trying to work out why. If this
> > happens, the user has to open Windows Explorer (or similar) and try to
> > work out why the path contained in the session is no longer
> > accessible.
>
> I like the short cut for creating a new file, but I think the main
> problem when restoring a session is that you could have deleted or
> moved the file on purpose after closing Textadept.

I agree, but I would prefer that Textadept popped up a dialog box
telling me that a file listed in the session wasn't available. If I
had deliberately deleted or moved the file, there would be nothing
more for me to do, otherwise I may want to stop and find out why the
file wasn't accessible.

Regards,

Russell Dickenson