Re: API files

From: mitchell <mforal.n....at.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 06:46:09 -0700 (PDT)

Robert,

> Rev. 34a1643f0b removed support for API files. Writing more Lua I
> started to appreciate this feature - I had thought about adding info
> for Textadept internal functions as well. Another idea I had was to
> include the entries in the auto-complete list.
> Why did you decide to remove them? Another question, was this format
> some kind of standard (used in other editors) - I googled some, but
> it's kind of a difficult search... Did you extract them from
> documentation?

API files were a relic from SciTE. I don't find them very useful
anymore. They're okay for Lua, C, etc. standard library functions, but
when you add more stuff, you have to make another api file or add to
the current one, keep it up to date, etc. Boring and tedious. A more
dynamic approach is preferred (e.g. parsing core/iface.lua for buffer
functions and fields). If you're dying for API features back, you put
a patch on the wiki or create a module or something. I don't think the
standard approach will return.

> Robert
> P.S.: Any timeframe for the 2.2beta? :-)

April 1.

Mitchell