Re: XML tag completion script

From: phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:35:06 -0700 (PDT)

> On Apr 11, 3:41 pm, phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Brian,
>
> > > You have been a great help to myself, other TA users also, I expect.
> > > Could you please help me just a little more? I need a dummies guide to
> > > enabling this functionality because I have tried many combinations and
> > > permutations and just can't seem to get it right.
>
> > > Regards,
>
> > > Russell Dickenson
>
> > Brian et al,
>
> > I am seeing odd behaviour from the xmlcomplete script. While editing a
> > hypertext document I added a new "<h3>" tag and instead of the closing
> > "</h3>" being inserted, a "</td>" was inserted instead. I tried
> > throughout the document to insert several different tags and in most
> > cases, an "</td>" tag was inserted. The exception was when I put the
> > cursor at the very end of the file and typed in an "<head>" tag, when
> > the correct closing tag of "</head>" was inserted. Thinking that the
> > problem was with this document I created a new sample hypertext file
> > and inserted a few standard tags. In this file I couldn't recreate the
> > problem, so it looked to be the original document. I then opened one
> > of the Textadept manual files, in hypertext format, and again did some
> > tests. Again, Textadept was inserting the wrong tag - most often a "</
> > td>", sometimes a "</p>" tag. As an example, I open
> > "1_Introduction.html", go to the blank line after the unordered list
> > for "<h1>Manual</h1>", type in a "<h3>" tag and a "</p>" tag is
> > automatically inserted.
>
> > This is occurring under both Linux (with latest official Textadept
> > release) and Windows (with Textadept 2.2 beta).
>
> > I'll do a little more investigation and see what I can find.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Russell Dickenson
>
> > > On Apr 13, 3:21 am, "briancsch....at.gmail.com" <briancsch....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> > > That's a bug. I'll have to figure out what triggers it. Probably the
> > > lua pattern not detecting tags correctly. The script scans through the
> > > file and builds a stack, pushing when an open tag is found, popping
> > > when a close tag is found, and doing nothing when a tag like <this/>
> > > is found. Using the auto-complete looks at the stack and inserts a
> > > closing tag for whatever is on top. I won't be able to work on this
> > > much until Tuesday evening.
> > >
> > > - Brian

Brian,

Thanks for your feedback. I have done some diagnostics but haven't yet
found the reason for the error. My troubleshooting method is very
crude, so it may take me a while.

Regarding when you can work on this, please take your time. I'm sure
that, like me, you have many other priorities. The XML autocompletion
script is a great addition to Textadept but life will carry on without
it. Thanks again for all your help with this and other aspects of
Textadept.

Regards,

Russell Dickenson