Re: Request for a "Rewrap paragraph" function

From: phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:10:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 26, 4:59 am, Robert <ro....at.web.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM, phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> > I certainly followed step 2 but possibly not correctly. I ought to
> > start with a much simpler question - what does the "ch" key sequence
> > mean? From my understanding, it represents Control+h, but I have tried
> > this key sequence and nothing happens.
>
> > I think after this I still stop trying to tweak Textadept. It's quite
> > clear to me that I simply don't understand how it all "hangs
> > together."
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Russell Dickenson
>
> Russell, don't give up! It took a me a long time to figure out how
> Textadept worked (and there are still lots of things I don't
> understand). If something doesn't work, try something simpler.
> For example, can you use another of Brian's modules in modules/common,
> can you assign keys.ch to a simple "textadept.print("test"), this
> approach helped me to learn about Textadept. And reading up on Lua. I
> started to read "Programming in Lua" more seriously, instead of just
> looking up things as I needed them. This is something I probably shoud
> have done earlier.
>
> Robert

Robert,

Thanks for your encouragement. I certainly don't intend walking away
from Textadept altogether (unless an even sexier text editor passes
through my field of vision :P). When I wrote my earlier message I was
tired and frustrated at not being able to get anything working WRT the
paragraph wrapping script, kindly written by Brian. My problems were
made worse by the fact that I was first working with the latest
Textadept build and was encountering a fatal bug (which I am yet to re-
test and report). I then switched to the version of Texadept packaged
for my Linux distribution but it was quite old and didn't activate/
enable/look for user Lua scripts. I finally installed a Textadept
package for version 2.1 and was working with that. All the to-ing and
fro-ing with versions of Textadept, together with being tired as I was
working late at night, put me in a rather negative mood.

As you suggest, Robert, I will try a simpler approach, tying a key
sequence together with an associated action so that I understand
Textadept a little better. What has complicated things for me is the
fact that there are, apparently, several ways of achieving the same
goal. The paragraph wrapping script for example, requires changes to a
personal key_commands.lua. Another user-contributed script -
bufferutils.lua - seemingly contains its code and associated key
sequence in the same file. Do I understand this correctly, or some
other magic going on which makes the bufferutils.lua script "just
work".

I must reiterate my thanks to Brian for producing the script and his
help so far. The fact that it's not yet working for me should not
reflect badly on his good work. I hope that my "Eureka!" moment will
come soon.

Regards,

Russell Dickenson