Re: Is it OK to use 'compile' and 'run' for hypertext documents?

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 09:11:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 7, 4:36 am, mitchell <mforal.n....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> Russell,
>
> On Apr 6, 6:01 pm, phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > In browsing Textadept's source code - specifically "run.lua" I
> > discovered the customisation options for the 'run' and 'compile' menu
> > options. I wonder if these could be applied to hypertext documents?
> > For example, the 'compile' option could run the Tidy utility, which
> > checks the validity of the document, and the 'run' option could open
> > the document in the user's default web browser. I know that someone
> > recently contributed code for the "open active buffer in user's
> > default web browser" function. My hope is that the Tidy utility's
> > messages could be output to the message buffer and errors on specific
> > lines would allow the user to double click on the message and be taken
> > to the line in which the warning or error occurs. If I understand
> > "run.lua" correctly, this behaviour is native for the 'compile' option
> > for files in various languages.
>
> > Of course anything's possible - particularly with Textadept (:P) - but
> > my main reason for asking was to check if this as an "abuse" of these
> > options. Might there be some sort of horrible side effect in using
> > 'compile' in the way I'm thinking of using it?
>
> Sounds fine to me. I'll accept a patch.
>
> Better yet I should have the module look in ~/.textadept/, huh
> Robert? :)

Hmm? Sorry, I must've been day-dreaming. Ohh... I would think this
functionality would belong into the language modules. :-)
While talking about it, would it be possible to read the line-comment
string from the definition in the respective lexer and have this used
for the ctrl-q commenting function? So each language with a line-
comment could be easily commented this way?

Robert