Re: Next generation of lexers

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:10:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 18, 6:05 am, Brian Schott <briancsch....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to segfault when there is a syntax error in the lexer. Try
> putting a stray "if" in the lexer and see if it can be reproduced on
> your end.
>
> - Brian

You're right, as stated in the documentation, this is the risk... :-)

Mitchell, I think the new lexing system is very good - alone being
able to simply rename a file to create a new lexer is great.
Some ideas:
It might be a good opportunity to rename the R and the B lexer. A
while ago I was writing some commands for R and luckily remembered
that Brian had mentioned the problem of single letter lexer names with
the D lexer.
I would suggest renaming
r -> rstats (this is commonly used as a tag for R statistics)
b -> maybe to b_lang?
...and could maybe the hypertext lexer be renamed back to html?

As for the documentation:
One problem I had (in my first attempts writing a lexer) was that I
didn't have an any_char rule. Reducing other lexers I figured this
out, but maybe this could be made clearer in the documentation. I'm
not sure, but possibly this is mainly a problem with markup languages.