Re: Next generation of lexers

From: mitchell <mforal.n....at.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:22:24 -0700 (PDT)

Robert,

> Mitchell, I think the new lexing system is very good - alone being
> able to simply rename a file to create a new lexer is great.
> Some ideas:
> It might be a good opportunity to rename the R and the B lexer. A
> while ago I was writing some commands for R and luckily remembered
> that Brian had mentioned the problem of single letter lexer names with
> the D lexer.
> I would suggest renaming
> r -> rstats (this is commonly used as a tag for R statistics)
> b -> maybe to b_lang?

Done. (r71) of scintillua.

> ...and could maybe the hypertext lexer be renamed back to html?

No. This is to retain compatibility with SciTE.

> As for the documentation:
> One problem I had (in my first attempts writing a lexer) was that I
> didn't have an any_char rule. Reducing other lexers I figured this
> out, but maybe this could be made clearer in the documentation. I'm
> not sure, but possibly this is mainly a problem with markup languages.

Do you have a suggestion to replace the current doc? For reference:

"You might be wondering what that any_char is doing at the bottom of
_rules. Its purpose is to match anything not accounted for in the
above rules. For example, suppose the ! character is in the input
text. It will not be matched by any of the first 9 rules, so without
any_char, the text would not match at all, and no coloring would
occur. any_char matches one single character and moves on. It may be
colored red (indicating a syntax error) if desired because it is a
token, not just a pattern."

Mitchell