Re: How to use Lua patterns in Find

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:30:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

On Apr 18, 7:04 pm, gummybears <oracle....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Newbie question (read the Lua pattern documentation)
>
> How to use the Lua pattern switch in Find ?
>
> Tried the following patterns In the Find dialog with the Lua pattern
> switch enabled
>
> /sometext.$/  => no match
> sometext.$ => no match
> sometext. => finds "sometext " but not "sometext more text"
>
> I thought the dot (.) should find all characters. Combined with the $
> should it not find
> the text "sometext more text" ?

The dot "." is a placeholder for any single character, it finds
"sometext ".
Have a look at the 'magic characters':
+ 1 or more repetitions
* 0 or more repetitions
- also 0 or more repetitions
? optional (0 or 1 occurrence)

sometext+
would find "sometext more text" (if that's all that is in your
buffer.)