Need help changing the background colour for lines longer than X characters

From: phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 16:54:24 -0700 (PDT)

I want the background colour of characters beyond X number of
characters to be different to that of the normal background colour. In
my theme's buffer.lua I have the following lines:

buffer.edge_column = 80
buffer.edge_mode = 2
buffer.edge_colour = #FF0000

If I understand correctly, this should give me bright red as the
background colour for all lines which have more than 80 characters on
them. However the background colour is a light grey instead. I have
tried several different colour strings but I don't see anything other
than a light grey background.

Can anyone help?