Re: Lua Rocks

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:06:36 +0200

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 4:01 PM, mitchell <mforal.n....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> Rob,
>> Currently one could have e.g. "key_commands.lua" and "events.lua" in
>> .textadept/ and then another "key_commands.lua" in .textadept/ext/.
>> With "core" on the path it would be more similar to the main directory
>> layout.
>
> Why do you need custom core files? The core files are like they sound;
> they should be in ta's directory. They are the minimum set of files
> necessary to run ta. The user shouldn't be able to easily (and
> potentially problematically) modify the core files. Instead manual
> modification or symlinking should be necessary. At least the user
> knows exactly what is going on.

I don't need them - I just thought it could be confusing to have files
key_commands.lua and snippets.lua that are modules in
"ext/" or "modules/textadept/" and "do_files" in "~/.textadept/".
But I agree, it's most likely better to change the other side of this,
the "do_files". I think the main problem here is (for new users) the
ordering of loading e.g. "common" modules and making sure the
key_commands are loaded afterwards.

> It appears my concept of an init.lua is more complicated than it
> should be. I can certainly see how this would be very useful for the
> dragging and dropping of extension scripts, but it does not fit into
> my vision of ta's extensibility. Perhaps a new system needs to be
> created. Maybe we should start a wiki page on ideas? I do have an
> extreme aversion to blanket loads of files though. Bad things can
> easily happen.
>
> I think you're on to something; it's worth looking into for a
> solution.
>
> Regards,
> Mitchell

Done. http://caladbolg.net/textadeptwiki/index.php?n=Main.ExtendingTa
Please, everyone interested in this issue, feel free to add your ideas
and use cases etc.

Jay, if you read this, is it possible to make wiki.textadept.com
forward instead of embedding in a frame set, like group.textadept.com
does (I don't know, this is possibly done by Google)?
Otherwise I have to right-click every time if I would like to know the
address of the page I'm on.

Mitchell, thanks for considering this!
Robert

P.S.:Jay, if you read this, is it possible to make wiki.textadept.com