How to add "blank" margin on each side of the buffer's display?

From: phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 23:03:16 -0700 (PDT)

I don't often use Texatdept's folding capability so I have the folding
margin hidden, but I still find line numbers useful so they are
visible. Although the buffer's background colour is different to that
of the line number's background colour, I would like to add a small
visual buffer between the two.

On reading Scintilla's documentation I thought this would be as simple
as adding the following line to my buffer's view.lua, but with this
added, the line margin disappears and the caret's colour is then not
the colour specified by my theme. I can't understand where I might be
going wrong.

buffer:set_margin_left = 4

Regards,