Re: How to add "blank" margin on each side of the buffer's display?

From: phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 15:00:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 7, 12:54 pm, mitchell <mforal.n....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> On Jun 3, 2:03 am, phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't often use Texatdept's folding capability so I have the folding
> > margin hidden, but I still find line numbers useful so they are
> > visible. Although the buffer's background colour is different to that
> > of the line number's background colour, I would like to add a small
> > visual buffer between the two.
>
> > On reading Scintilla's documentation I thought this would be as simple
> > as adding the following line to my buffer's view.lua, but with this
> > added, the line margin disappears and the caret's colour is then not
> > the colour specified by my theme. I can't understand where I might be
> > going wrong.
>
> > buffer:set_margin_left = 4
>
> buffer.margin_left = 4
>
> It can be confusing to go from Scintilla's doc to ta's Lua interface.
> Typically, properties are table fields in 'buffer', use '.', and drop
> 'get/set' from their name. Functions use ':' and retain the full name.
>
> Mitchell

Mitchell,

Thanks for your hints on translating Scintilla's documentation to
Textadept's Lua interface. I have tried your suggestion and it doesn't
seem to be having any effect. Having used SciTE before, I know what
this configuration option should do, but it's simply not working. As I
mentioned in my original message, I have added this line to my theme's
view.lua file. Is there something I might be missing?

Regards,