Re: tweaking find/replace ui

From: Scott Weisman <sweis....at.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 03:40:02 -0700 (PDT)

> I don't know how hard it would be to have a Lua interface to the Find
> dialog but one possibility would be to use Gcocoadialog [1] windows. I
> think there are currently no checkboxes mentioned in the Cocoadialog
> documentation [2], but maybe they could be added (or you don't need
> them, depending on how you would like to customize it).
>
> [1]http://code.google.com/p/gcocoadialog/
> [2]http://cocoadialog.sourceforge.net/documentation.htm
>
> I have some experimental code for the incremental search which uses
> the statusbar. I'll post that when I get home.

I'm less interested in a dialog than a more keyboard-oriented UI.
Something like a Vim or Perl regexp, but probably less flexible.

Can this be done now:

1. Intercept C-f (and other search/replace keys).

2. Split the window to open a one-line view on the bottom to enter the
regexp.

3. Intercept a <CR> in that window to run the search/replace (and
possibly close the view).

If something like this can be done as-is right now, I'm cool (:-).
Then I could just modify the find.lua code to do what I want.

I might try your suggestion regarding a file explorer. Using styles
and some Unicode characters can make a pretty convincing text-oriented
interface.