Re: [textadept] Idea: Using 'patch' to apply personal configuration changes

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:06:04 +0200

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:50 AM, phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> However I have difficulty in adding the custom code written by others.
> When someone adds something to the wiki that I like I following the
> instructions (as best I can) to enable it but this often results in an
> error which prevents Textadept from working properly.

Let us know if the instructions on the wiki are not clear enough or
add the missing bits to the wiki. It's true that there are some
modules that require changes in multiple locations but if you use the
common/init.lua that loads everything in modules/common installation
of add-ons can be as easy as just dropping a file into that directory.

> I then have to
> undo my changes and am then relying on my memory as to what I changed.
>
> I also find that of course I need to replicate these steps on my PC at
> work and my laptop, both of which use different OSs.

[...]
> I haven't yet actually tested my idea but will do so in the next few
> weeks and report my results here. Does anyone know reason why I
> shouldn't try this approach? Does anyone have a better idea?

Just two other ideas:
Use a version control system like git or mercurial. Makes it easy to
rollback to an earlier version and if you have your .textadept on a
server or with a service like github or bitbucket it's easy to sync
multiple machines.
Use a sync service like Dropbox. You could have your .textadept in the
synced folder and use the command line switch to tell Textadept where
to look for it.

Robert