Re: Idea: Using 'patch' to apply personal configuration changes

From: phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:34:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 19, 10:06 pm, Robert <ro....at.web.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:50 AM, phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > However I have difficulty in adding the custom code written by others.
> > When someone adds something to the wiki that I like I following the
> > instructions (as best I can) to enable it but this often results in an
> > error which prevents Textadept from working properly.
>
> Let us know if the instructions on the wiki are not clear enough or
> add the missing bits to the wiki. It's true that there are some
> modules that require changes in multiple locations but if you use the
> common/init.lua that loads everything in modules/common installation
> of add-ons can be as easy as just dropping a file into that directory.

Thanks. I haven't yet tried this method but will do so and perhaps it
will ease 90% of my "burden". I'll be happy to amend the wiki once I
understand how this works but at the moment I'm not confident enough
with Textadept to add anything.

> > I then have to
> > undo my changes and am then relying on my memory as to what I changed.
>
> > I also find that of course I need to replicate these steps on my PC at
> > work and my laptop, both of which use different OSs.
>
> [...]
> > I haven't yet actually tested my idea but will do so in the next few
> > weeks and report my results here. Does anyone know reason why I
> > shouldn't try this approach? Does anyone have a better idea?
>
> Just two other ideas:
> Use a version control system like git or mercurial. Makes it easy to
> rollback to an earlier version and if you have your .textadept on a
> server or with a service like github or bitbucket it's easy to sync
> multiple machines.

Good point. I was thinking of using a VCS. Since I use Windows at work
and Linux at home and on laptop, it would have to be Mercurial. I've
never used it so there's another learning curve, however slight.

> Use a sync service like Dropbox. You could have your .textadept in the
> synced folder and use the command line switch to tell Textadept where
> to look for it.

Another great idea! Unfortunately I don't like Dropbox's approach
where folders on all clients are automatically synchronised. The issue
is that Dropbox is not available when I am at work, and at home my
Internet download/upload allowance would be "eaten into" by Dropbox.

> Robert

Thanks for your reply, Robert. I did a little testing yesterday and
although I have produced a few patches I'm not confident that this
approach will work.

Anyway I'll report my progress or otherwise here.