Re: [textadept] Why do themes consist of 3 files?

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 08:54:11 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Russell,

> I have spent some time tweaking an existing Textadept theme to my
> liking. In doing so I have had to open one or more of these files,
> change them and restart Textadept.
>
> The one thought that this work has raised is: why does a theme consist
> of 3 files? The only reason I can think of is that you may want to
> tweak just one aspect of a theme, and so having separate files makes
> this easier.

The lexer has a separate Lua state and thus needs a separate theme.

Buffer themes need to be set for every buffer created or opened while view
themes need to be set for each Scintilla window created (split). Buffer
settings are not synonymous with view settings. For example, viewing
whitespace is view-specific, not buffer-specific. I know it can get
confusing since everything is lumped into the 'buffer' global, but over
time you get used to what belongs to what ;)

mitchell