Re: Performance concern in editing HTML files

From: phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 15:01:21 -0800 (PST)

On Oct 28, 12:50 pm, phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 26, 10:51 pm, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
>

> > Russell,
>
> > > Just in case I've used the wrong method, what's the recommended way of
> > > compiling TA from source? When I have cloned the hg repo, I've found
> > > that there's only a sub-set of the source code contained. I usually
> > > grab the source from elsewhere, add the updated files (obtained via hg
> > > repo) and compile the lot.
>
> > This is the correct method.
>
> > mitchell
>
> > > - Russell
>
> > > --
>
> > mitchell
>
> Mitchell,
>
> For once I'm actually using "the correct method"! Quick!, someone take
> a photo to record the moment.
>
> I need to find some sample files which require multiple lexers and
> then test them. I'll report my results here.
>
> --
> Russell- Hide quoted text -

I still haven't tested other types of files but I thought I would add
some information in case it's useful. The behaviour I have is that
when I scroll up or down line-by-line, there's a slight lag with the
display being updated. The lag is so great that when I release the up
or down arrow key, the display keeps scrolling. In other words, it's
struggling to keep up. Using the GNOME performance monitor I can see
that when I am scrolling, the CPU load is extremely heavy. Admittedly
this is on a laptop with an Intel Core 2 Solo CPU so it's not a
monster but I wouldn't expect an editor to require significant
resources. When I do the same with gedit, this behaviour doesn't
happen.

Interestingly I don't get the same behaviour from Textadept (portable,
version 3.3) under Windows XP on my PC at work, although this is an
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

I still intend testing other files which require multiple lexers and
reporting the test results here.