Re: [textadept] Textadept Portable

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:24:09 +0100

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:45 PM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
> How did you put this together? I'd like to be able to distribute an
> all-in-one ta for win32 that doesn't require separate runtime installed.
>
> mitchell

Thanks for asking, I was about to suggest this :-)
The Portable Launcher is a small programm that puts GTK/bin on the
user's path and then launches TA with a changed userhome. After
closing TA it deletes some files that GTK creates (as it is part of
the "Portable Apps"-philosophy to not leave any files behind.)
I recently found out that such a launcher might not be necessarey to
avoid installing GTK, but have not tested this extensively.
The following seems to work:
- download the gtk-runtime and make a silent install [1].
- copy everything from gtk\bin to TA's main folder
- copy etc, lib and share into TA's main folder

The last directories are necessary for theming. I haven't checked if
some files might be left out to reduce download size. Zipped this is
6.5 MB, unpacked 17 MB. I have tested this briefly on XP and Vista and
uploaded it for testing [2]. This download should work without any
separate GTK installation.

If you would like to replicate, I used the following commands:
GTK_VERSION=2.22.0-2010-10-01
GTK_DOWNLOAD=http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gtk-win/gtk2-runtime-${GTK_VERSION}-ash.exe

wget $GTK_DOWNLOAD

On Windows:
set GTK_VERSION=2.22.0-2010-10-01

gtk2-runtime-%GTK_VERSION%-ash /S /sideeffects=no /D=%CD%\GTK

Then copy the files as described above.

Robert

[1] http://gtk-win.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/en/Embedding
[2] https://bitbucket.org/rgieseke/textadept/downloads?highlight=15446