Re: [textadept] Could I use Textadept as an outline tool?

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:01:36 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Russell,

> I would like to be able to work on a large, structured document but in
> small "chunks" and I wonder if Textadept might help? The idea would be
> that I first create a document which is essentially a table of
> contents, and then write each piece in a separate document (read
> "file"). Textadept would hopefully help in that I could move the
> cursor to a specific line on which I had written the name of a section
> (of the document), press a key sequence, and if a file with the
> matching name already existed, it would be opened, otherwise an empty
> buffer with that name would be created.
>
> The idea is that I can switch back and forth between writing content
> and structuring the document, according to how I feel at the time. I
> could either leave several buffers open and switch between them, or
> close each buffer and use the "table of contents" document to navigate
> to and open the next section.

This is actually done to some extent in the Lua module. Take a peek at
lua/commands.lua's goto_required() function. It is activated by a key
command and looks at the current line for a particular pattern and tries
to open the appropriate file. If the file does not exist, io.open_file
"creates" it (upon saving).

> Is this a serious misuse of Textadept or does this approach sound
> reasonable? I believe I could cobble together the functionality from
> Textadept's own source code and code contributed via the wiki.

I don't know if I'd classify anything as a "serious misuse" of ta since
it's so darn flexible!