Re: [textadept] LuaJIT == Overkill?

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 00:17:56 -0500 (EST)

Robert,

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:10 AM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've compiled textadept to use LuaJIT, but I really don't notice any
>> differences in speed. The LPeg lexer is written in C anyway so I don't think
>> LuaJIT affects it much, if at all. Does anyone have experience with LuaJIT?
>> Is it overkill for a text editing environment?
>>
>> mitchell
>>

> Don't know much about LuaJIT but does it make a difference for doing
> string replacing/searches in huge files?

Maybe in string:find, string:gsub, but doubtful in
buffer:search/replace_in_target.

> Most things in Textadept
> don't take long so it's probably hard to notice/measure.
>
> Also, have you seen this discussion on lpeg optimisation?:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general/68734

I did, but it's for x86 only. I tried again to compile it for x86_64 but I
get a segfault when trying to run the tests.

On a side note, in my experiments, I have seen that LuaJIT causes some
problems in textadept, so it's unlikely it will be used in place of Lua.

mitchell