Re: [textadept] Unable to start TextAdept version 3.5 in Ubuntu

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 13:21:44 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi Ryan,

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
> It appears Ubuntu hasn't updated to libpng14 yet. A quick hack would be to either symlink
> /usr/lib/libpng12.so to /usr/lib/libpng14.so.14 as root or copy /usr/lib/libpng12.so to
> your ta directory as libpng14.so.14. Otherwise I recommend compiling ta for your machine
> (quite easy actually as long as you have the one gtk dev package installed).
>

> It didn't work to just copy the .so next to ta executable. So I created the symlink and it seems to be
> working fine.

Okay, thanks for the info. I didn't have a chance to test it myself; I
just thought it might work. I would like to point out that making the
symlink is NOT the recommended thing to do since your package manager
should deal with this sort of thing, but since Ubuntu gives you no choice,
I don't see what else you can do other than recompile...

I have put this on the FAQ: http://code.google.com/p/textadept/wiki/FAQ