insufficient error checking

From: Scott Weisman <sweis....at.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 01:06:30 -0800 (PST)

I work a lot with shared folders, and I've noticed that when one
disappears for a bit, the error processing is basically nonexistent.

For instance, when a shared folder of a file I am working on
disappears, and I try to save the file, I get this error:

C:\textadept/core/file_io.lua:243: attempt to index a nil value

Besides the annoying behavior of splitting the window to present the
error, the message itself is incomprehensible. Is it possible to
present errors in a less intrusive and more informative manner?
Whether saying the file can't be saved, or something like that.

I checked out the lfs extension a bit, and it seems woefully limited
compared to what I am used to in Perl (my language of choice) with its
large complement of native file test operators (including something as
simple as whether a file even exists!). Is there a more featureful