Re: insufficient error checking

From: Leo <slonik....at.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 05:47:13 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 14, 8:04 am, Scott Weisman <sweis....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> [..snip..]
> I do find Lua an intriguing language, things like this (which is
> pretty basic) that don't work as expected drive me nuts.

Scott,
Lua is a strict ANSI-C (C89) language in a sense that the stock Lua
uses only the facilities provided by ANSI-C. For example, canonical
Lua does not even know the concept of directories. Hence, a "strange"
looking load path in package.path and package.cpath. All the "fat" is
shifted into extensions (aka modules) which, as you already
discovered, are still work in progress.
IMHO, the fact that Lua is a mean/lean/fighting_machine is great. I
use it in tiny embedded systems as well as on several 16-core machines
with 78GB of memory. And it works great in both cases.

www.luafaq.org is a useful resource to learn about some common Lua
pitfalls.

--Leo--