Re: insufficient error checking

From: Scott Weisman <sweis....at.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:36:15 -0800 (PST)

Yes, but Lua internally doesn't use \0-terminated strings, as there
are many problems with that kind of representation.

That's what I meant by C-style strings. C may use them, but dynamic
languages don't, at least none that I know of.

I don't mind the use of extensions. I see it is a work in progress. I
still need to brush up on the syntax, but I already get that Lua has a
clean, utilitarian design with some simple but very expressive
features. It also has what are considered stock features in any
serious language, like closures. I actually first heard of it from a
DDJ article many years ago, so I've been aware of it for a while.

The language does seem rather well done (and it's already at 5.x, so
it's quite mature by now), but I see that the extension library is
pretty weak. It also strikes me as ad hoc. I have made much of the
CPAN over the years, and it, even with its warts, is an impressive
effort.

There are some things about Lua I don't like. I don't like the lack of
native bit operators. Or the non-standard "!=" operator. Or the
preference for words over braces/brackets. The latter make maneuvering
around in the code easier with brace-matching. Or the way 0 evaluates
to true in conditionals. That one really bugs me. Perl's treatment of
nil is much better IMHO.

Scott