Re: [textadept] feature request: gui extensions

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:12:02 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi Cosmin

> Hi,
>
> Have you considered adding GUI extensions to textadept to let people
> transform it into an IDE (something like SciTE-GUI) ? I am shopping
> for an editor that I can turn into a Lua IDE with all sorts of
> toolboxes on the side. The code to inspect Lua sources at runtime is
> already there (mostly written for SciTE, but it can be adapted), I
> just miss a GUI extension to bring them to life.
>
> What do you think?

The complexity involved would likely be high and push the C line count to
over 2000 which I don't want to do. Short of rewriting everything in Lua
(with something like lua-gtk), which I don't want to do for speed reasons,
this likely will not happen.

The Textadept C core is very small as it is so adding extra gui buttons,
toolbars, etc. probably wouldn't be too hard if you don't want it
extendable by script.

mitchell