Re: [textadept] Re: feature request: gui extensions

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:54:01 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Robert,

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
>> Scott,
>>
>>> Also, I'd like to see the core Lua files partitioned further so that
>>> it's easier to override functionality while leaving core routines
>>> untouched. As an example, keys.lua could be split into key-handler.lua
>>> and key-mappings.lua.
>>
>> This used to be the case, but it was changed. I tried finding the reason in
>> the mailing list but I wasn't successful. Does anyone know where the
>> discussion is?
>>

> I don't remember, but couldn't the part below the "don't edit below
> this line" simply be moved into the core module? This would it make
> easier to provide for example a Scite-like keys.lua that could be
> dropped into the .textadept directory.

That means users have to copy all key commands to edit them and then keep
track of changes between their keys.lua and textadept's keys.lua when a
new version comes out. This is a pain (I have to do it because I use a
completely different set of commands and don't want to load the default
set and then clear it later during startup).

The recommended way is to add or remove key commands specifically in
user init.lua or a file that is 'require'd by user init.lua as stated in
the manual.

mitchell