Re: Is Textadept Portable still necessary?

From: phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:05:47 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 16, 11:06 pm, Robert <ro....at.web.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:27 PM, phayz <russelldicken....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> > Textadept Portable is a "wrapper" for Textadept on Windows which keeps
> > Textadept's configuration folder together with the executables etc. I
> > have been using it successfully since it was first introduced.
>
> > Since Textadept version 3.5, I believe, all necessary runtime files
> > (mainly GTK) are included with the Windows download. Another recent
> > change which I can't date, is the addition of several parameters,
> > including "-u" which allow you to specify a folder to be used for the
> > storage of personal Textadept configuration files, instead of the
> > folder specified in the USERPROFILE environment variable.
>
> Dynamic command line parameters were introduced in 3.0 so I think it
> was around that version.

Thanks.

> > The addition of the "-u" parameter which something that I saw
> > mentioned a while ago but didn't quite "click" in my brain. If I put 2
> > and 2 together, I believe there's no longer a need for Textadept
> > Portable. To achieve the same goal, you can simply make a shortcut to
> > the Textadept executable and add the "-u" parameter.
>
> That's true, and for the use case of using Textadept Portable when you
> can't or dont want to install GTK it's no longer necessary
> Where the portable version is still useful is when you use it from a
> USB drive with potentially changing drive letters.
> Additionaly, some files that are created by GTK are cleaned up
> afterwards, as this is part of the Portable App philosophy not to
> leave any files behind.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about that aspect of Textadept Portable but
it's
a very good point. Long live TP!

> > I don't mean to belittle Robert's achievement in producing the
> > Textadept Portable launcher. If there's now an official method of
> > achieving the same result though, in the long term I believe it's a
> > better approach.
>
> It is mostly the work of the Portable Apps contributors. The TA
> Portable launcher is based on the other GTK portable app launchers
> like Gimp.

Yes, but you took the time to create the TP launcher. Thanks for that.

> > PS - If the "-u" parameter has been part of Textadept since it was
> > created, I'm going to be *very* embarrassed. :)
>
> I will update the launcher without the additional GTK library. You can
> delete the App\GTK directory if you want to save some space.
>
> Robert

OK.

Since the TP definitely has a reason to exist (:P) I ought to report
here a strange bug I see only when using TP. It's not a big problem
but one that I should report in case it affects others as well.