Re: [textadept] Textadept 3.7 beta 2

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:03:56 +0100

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Zhehao Mao <zhehao.....at.gmail.com> wrote:
(...)
> You should probably also include Brian's Python module, the one from the
> wiki. I'm also going to try to write an updater so that users can
> install new versions and modules from within textadept or from the
> command line.

Zip files on the wiki are definitely cumbersome and make it difficult
to just look at modules.
A while ago Jay suggested using (something like) Luarocks for
updating/getting modules (1). You can add the Luarocks package path to
Textadept's path, so this would actually be possible.
I did this a while ago and experimented with the luasocket module for
doing something like package management. It's quite easy to load a
file from the web into Textadept (see the examples in PiL). However,
one starts reinventing version control soon. Maybe the simplest
approach is having language modules in one repository per module on
github, bitbucket, google code or whereever.
This makes getting and updating them one-liners (wrapping these
commands in a Textadept dialog is also possible). Further, maintaining
your own "branch" of customizations or merging with updates should be
quite simple.
We could have a "collection" of available modules for example at
github.com/textadept like the one Textmate has.
I'd volunteer in maintaining this (inclusive mirroring somewhere as a
hg repo if desired).
Thoughts?

Robert

(1) http://groups.google.com/group/textadept/msg/51bc8ac9a23d3ec3?pli=1