Re: [textadept] Re: Textadept 3.7 beta 2

From: Zhehao Mao <zhehao.....at.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 12:15:38 -0500

On 03/02/2011 10:14 AM, Robert wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Howie <zhehao.....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)
>> the file extension for Matlab/Octave scripts is .m. I've already
>> changed this in my own mime_types.conf, but it would be good for less
>> tech-savvy users (most Matlab users are probably not hard-core
>> programmers) if
>> it was included in the default conf.
>>

> The not hard-core programming matlab users are most likely happy with
> Matlab's editor and the close integration it has. ;-)
> You can also use an octave shebang line (if you use octave).
> For cases like this (where different lexers/languages have the same
> file extensions) I once did a check in set_buffer_properties whether a
> certain keyword was in the file and switched the lexer language
> accordingly, for example Django templates that have .html-Extensions.
>
> Robert

I do use octave. Actually, I've found that using the #!/usr/bin/octave
shebang doesn't work. That's because if you have an octave/matlab script
"program.m", octave expects it to be executed as "program". Also, there
are not multiple lexers for .m. Octave and Matlab both use the matlab
lexer. It is not a difficult matter to associate .m extensions with the
matlab lexer in the default mime_types.conf. It will also save users
from the minor inconvenience of having to do it themselves.

Howie