Re: [textadept] Textadept 3.7 beta 2

From: Zhehao Mao <zhehao.....at.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 12:25:04 -0500

On 03/02/2011 10:03 AM, Robert wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Zhehao Mao <zhehao.....at.gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)
>> You should probably also include Brian's Python module, the one from the
>> wiki. I'm also going to try to write an updater so that users can
>> install new versions and modules from within textadept or from the
>> command line.
>>

> Zip files on the wiki are definitely cumbersome and make it difficult
> to just look at modules.
> A while ago Jay suggested using (something like) Luarocks for
> updating/getting modules (1). You can add the Luarocks package path to
> Textadept's path, so this would actually be possible.
> I did this a while ago and experimented with the luasocket module for
> doing something like package management. It's quite easy to load a
> file from the web into Textadept (see the examples in PiL). However,
> one starts reinventing version control soon. Maybe the simplest
> approach is having language modules in one repository per module on
> github, bitbucket, google code or whereever.
> This makes getting and updating them one-liners (wrapping these
> commands in a Textadept dialog is also possible). Further, maintaining
> your own "branch" of customizations or merging with updates should be
> quite simple.
> We could have a "collection" of available modules for example at
> github.com/textadept like the one Textmate has.
> I'd volunteer in maintaining this (inclusive mirroring somewhere as a
> hg repo if desired).
> Thoughts?
>
> Robert
>
> (1) http://groups.google.com/group/textadept/msg/51bc8ac9a23d3ec3?pli=1

Hmm, perhaps luarocks would be best. If we were to do it through a git
or hg repository, users would always be getting the latest development
versions, which may or may not be broken. Actually, luarocks is a pure
lua program, so it may be possible to just require it into textadept and
make it download into the user's textadept directory (the main one, not
~/.textadept) instead of the ~/.luarocks directory. I'll clone their
github repo and see what I can do.

Howie