Re: [textadept] Python module update

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:28:27 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Robert,

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, Robert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I pushed a few updates, let me know if there are issues.
>
> Mitchell,
> on Windows the dos box pops, when I do the syntax checking so I added
> an option to disable it. This probably affects the ruby module, too.
>
> I read up a bit on getting a "silent" popen, but it seems there is no
> easy solution. (Some involve recompiling.) When you tried the spawn
> extension, you mentioned problems on Windows. What were these?
> I probably could have a workaround using temporary files and using the
> pythonw.exe version of the python interpreter (which does not open a
> shell) but it would of course be nice if there were a simpler
> solution.

There is no "silent" popen without hacks that I don't want. My spawn
prototype did not handle stdout and stderr pipes properly on windows so I
abandoned the idea. I do have an interest in reinvestigating, but that
will likely be after the next release. I'm still working on other changes
for April 1.

mitchell