[textadept] LuaJIT and Windows

From: Robert <ro....at.web.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:35:09 +0200

>> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:10 AM, mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've compiled textadept to use LuaJIT, but I really don't notice any
>>> differences in speed. The LPeg lexer is written in C anyway so I don't
>>> think
>>> LuaJIT affects it much, if at all. Does anyone have experience with
>>> LuaJIT?
>>> Is it overkill for a text editing environment?
>>>
>>> mitchell

[snip]

> On a side note, in my experiments, I have seen that LuaJIT causes some
> problems in textadept, so it's unlikely it will be used in place of Lua.
>
> mitchell

There is likely not much in Textadept that benefits significantly from
LuaJIT but maybe the recently introduced foreign function interface
[1] could provide an easy way to get access to native Windows UI
elements, like file open, that was talked about on the Lua mailing
list.

This is the example for a dialog box:
local ffi = require("ffi")
ffi.cdef[[
int MessageBoxA(void *w, const char *txt, const char *cap, int type);
]]
ffi.C.MessageBoxA(nil, "Hello world!", "Test", 0)

That way someone could write an extension module that would replace
TA's default GTK based open dialog.

Robert

[1] http://luajit.org/ext_ffi.html