Re: [textadept] LuaJIT and Windows

From: mitchell <c....at.caladbolg.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 21:56:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Michal,

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Michal Kottman wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 15:35 +0200, Robert wrote:
>> There is likely not much in Textadept that benefits significantly from
>> LuaJIT but maybe the recently introduced foreign function interface
>> [1] could provide an easy way to get access to native Windows UI
>> elements, like file open, that was talked about on the Lua mailing
>> list.
>
> I don't want to sound like a heretic, but has the implementation of the
> core of Textadept in Qt been considered? Qt provides a cross-platform
> way of creating native-looking interfaces, and the Scintilla component
> is available in Qt through the QScintilla project, and is kept
> up-to-date [1]. It should also solve the "shortcut keys" and "native
> file open" "issues"...
>
> Translating the 2000 LOC of src/textadept.c should not be that hard (I
> hope :). I may actually attempt such conversion when I have more time
> (which will likely be during the summer break).

I've used GTK for the longest time so that's why I never considered Qt.
Plus I'm more comfortable with GTK's c-style API as opposed to Qt's
c++-style API.

It's not quite as simple as porting textadept.c to Qt. You would also
have to port gcocoadialog[1] to Qt (qcocoadialog?). This would actually be
the place to add platform-specific code for native filechooser dialogs
too if not in Lua.

mitchell

[1]: http://gcocoadialog.googlecode.com